• Research • Research • Faculty • Wiep van Bunge
Prof.dr. Wiep van Bunge
Professor of the History of Philosophytel. +31 10 408 8995
e-mail: vanbunge [at] fwb [dot] eur [dot] nl
Wiep van Bunge (1960) studied Philosophy at Utrecht University, and took his PhD at Erasmus University Rotterdam (1990). He was director of the NWO-research programme The Early Enlightenment in the Dutch Republic, 1650-1750: Cartesianism, Spinozism, and Empiricism (2000-2005) and currently co-directs another NWO-project, entitled Faultline 1700: Early Enlightenment Conversations on Religion and Politics (2010-2014). From 2004 to 2012 he served as Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy of Erasmus University. In 2014 he was elected a member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
* Spinoza Past and Present. Essays on Spinoza, Spinozism, and Spinoza Scholarship (Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2012)
* The Continuum Companion to Spinoza. Edited by Wiep van Bunge, Henri Krop, Piet Steenbakkers and Jeroen van de Ven (London-New York: Continuum, 2011)
* De Nederlandse Republiek, Spinoza en de radicale Verlichting (Brussel: VUBPress, 2010)
* Pierre Bayle (1647-1706), le philosophe de Rotterdam: Philosophy, Religion and Reception. Selected Papers of the Tercentenary Conference, held at Rotterdam, 7-8 December 2006. Edited by Wiep van Bunge and Hans Bots (Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2008)
* Philosopher of Peace. Spinoza, Resident of The Hague (The Hague: Municipality of The Hague, 2008)
* Spinoza and Dutch Cartesianism. Edited by Wiep van Bunge (Würzburg: Königshausen & Neumann, 2006)
* The Dictionary of Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Dutch Philosophers, 2 vols. General Editors Wiep van Bunge, Henri Krop, Bart Leeuwenburgh, Han van Ruler, Paul Schuurman and Michiel Wielema (Bristol: Thoemmes, 2003), 22 + 1,116 pp. [paperback ed. 2006]
* The Early Enlightenment in the Dutch Republic, 1650-1750. Selected Papers of a Conference held at the Herzog August Bibliothek Wolfenbüttel, 22-23 March 2001. Edited by Wiep van Bunge (Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2003)
* From Stevin to Spinoza. An Essay on Philosophy in the Seventeenth-Century Dutch Republic (Leiden-Boston-Köln: E.J. Brill, 2001)
Work In Progress
Wiep van Bunge is working on a book, provisionally entitled From Bayle to Bilderdijk. An Essay on Philosophy in the Dutch Enlightenment. He is also a member of the equip responsible for the publication of Pierre Bayle’s Correspondance. So far, eleven of the projected fourteen volumes have appeared (Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 1999-2014).